You will need to check that you meet the eligibility criteria:
- GCSE Mathematics, English and Science at a minimum Grade C (or accepted equivalency - please contact us for advice). This is a core requirement.
- A Levels are not essential but can strengthen any application; especially the PGCE route.
- Degree at 1st or 2.1 but we are willing to consider candidates with a 2.2, dependent on their experience. Candidates must ensure that they have a full degree at honours as ordinary degrees or those without a research element will not be considered. If there are any concerns please do contact Teach Thurrock.
- A passion and commitment to improving the life chances of young people through high quality teaching and learning.
- At least 10 days' classroom experience within the last 18 months for both PGCE and Salaried routes.
- A satisfactory enhanced disclosure from the Criminal Records Bureau (DBS) and assessed as suitable to teach by the GTC.
Applicants whose first language is a language other than English may be required to produce evidence of their English proficiency.
The Teach Thurrock Primary Partnership is committed to equal opportunities and will not discriminate on the grounds of colour, race, and nationality, ethnic or national origin, sex of marital status or on the grounds of disability.
Applicants apply through UCAS. The date for when Apply 1 opens has yet to be confirmed, please go to the UCAS site for more information.
The UCAS site has proven challenging so listed below are the ways to find the Teach Thurrock Primary Partnership:
- Click on the UCAS drop down menu on this site.
- Click on the tab “Search for training programmes".
- Put Essex in the region box and scroll down for Dilkes Academy which is the Lead School or for the Teach Thurrock Primary Partnership.
- General Primary – UCAS course PGCE 279V
- Early Years EYFS/KS - UCAS course PGCE 2GSV
- General Primary Salaried UCAS Course Salaried 272V
As per the UCAS guidelines we have 40 days from the day your application is posted to consider your application (25 days for Teach Thurrock and 15 days for the IoE). As well as recording that you have been short listed for interview on UCAS, Dilkes will email you to make the necessary arrangements. The interview will take the form of:
- A short written task
- A mathematical task
- Teaching a skill to a group of children relevant to the age phase you wish to train in
- An interview with a panel of head teachers from the partnership and possibly a member of the Institute of Education
If we wish to offer you a place on the course, your details will then be passed to UCL Institute of Education who will carry out the necessary academic and experience checks (work for the salaried route) Successful applicants will be notified by UCL Institute of Education as they are the accrediting body and are advised that until they receive an offer from the Institute they are not guaranteed a place on the course.
Once candidates have received all three offers per the UCAS guidelines they are allowed 10 working days to accept and Teach Thurrock abides by these conditions so whilst we do keep in contact with candidates we do not push for an acceptance.
Successful candidates will begin the training programme full time in September 2018 once they have ensured that they have carried out any conditions of their offer (may be 10 days’ experience in a primary school) and passing their skills tests in Literacy and Mathematics. We expect all trainees to have passed their skills test by May 2018 at the very latest.
Applicants who need to gain 10 days experience in a primary school may be eligible to take part in Teach Thurrock's Primary Experience Programme (TTPEP). For more information contact Andrea Parfett at Dilkes Academy.